Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Day 71: "Dutch defense" on the greatest Dutch holiday - "Koninginnedag"

Good evening.

Today was holiday here - Queen's day or "Koninginnedag" - because queen Beatrix has birthday on the 30th of April, she is already 69. I feel shame that I couldn't organize the other Bulgarians to visit Amsterdam and see the celebrations. I agree, I'm "liulak" - Dutch word that means "lazy ass" :) Sometimes colleagues call me this way when I'm late at office in the morning.

As every Monday there also was a traditional chess competition at the local club - this time rapid tournament, 5 rounds, 15 minutes time control, guillotine. "Fortuna" totally forgot me this night. In round 2 missed to win a super position against one very unpleasant man I've lost to several weeks ago /all the time he makes nervous grimaces and nasty sounds/. We started by surprising each other, this time I pushed 1. d4 on my first move /1. e4 didn't work last time/, he replied with Grunfeld defense and I responded with a rare variation that lead to a superior and strategically won position for me before entering the endgame. I finished the game very awkwardly and couldn't realize the advantage I had ... even at the end I was on the rim to lose but with 5 seconds left on my clock could reach a theoretical drawing position ... and survived.

One round to go, with 3.5 points out of 4 games, I was in the lead accompanied only by Richard Oranje. We had half point more than others ... and our game decided the tournament. I had white pieces/this is an advantage in chess, white starts first/ but only to see the "Dutch defense" in reply to my 1. d4. I tried to play quite creatively but at the end entered a position where my bishop hit Dutch wall of pawns and I hit my stupid head. I lost and I needed only a draw to take the 1st prize. Again shame on me.

Lyubomir Mishkovsky - Richard Orange, 30 April 2007, 0 : 1

Playing the endgame like real "liulak"

Nevertheless I managed 3rd place and won 5 euro award. Do you see, I can make living here of chess :) Here is the tournament link:

1 comment:

Victoria Williams said...

5 euros huh? Wow. Can you even buy a beer with that? I don't understand all the chess talk, but I enjoy reading about it. I think you did great!